Website - http://www.smartmatic.com/
Smartmatic is the world’s leading provider of voting technology and services. We help electoral commissions around the world to run elections with unmatched speed, accuracy and security. Initially founded in the USA in 2000 by a small group of young entrepreneurs and engineers led by Antonio Mugica, Smartmatic has enjoyed explosive growth and commercial success.
With global headquarters now in London, we employ over 600 professionals in more than 15 countries, including Europe (UK, Netherlands), the Americas (USA, Mexico, Barbados, Haiti, Brazil, Panama, Venezuela), and Asia (Philippines, India, Taiwan).
We are honored that our work is being recognized globally for its role in strengthening democracy and fostering fairer societies. Our customers are global references for best electoral practice. To date more than 2.3 billion votes have been cast and counted with our technology, in elections in five continents.
Some of our key experiences:
- Belgium chose Smartmatic to design and build its new electronic voting platform. Our voting machines have now been used by a significant part of Belgian voters in two elections in 2012 (local) and 2014 (European parliament).
- Zambia and the United Nations chose Smartmatic to build the country’s biometric voter database. Over five million voters were registered in hundreds of posts around the country. Based on the success of this first project, Zambia hired Smartmatic to provide technology in order to update its biometric voter register in 2015.
- In 2009, we conducted in Bolivia the world’s fastest voter registration project using biometrics. In only 72 days we registered over 5 million people.
- In 2012 and 2014 Brazil used technology provided by Smartmatic to help consolidate results immediately after polls close. More than 1,500 satellite transmission posts were set up in the most remote areas of the country, resulting in very fast returns.
- Venezuela contracted Smartmatic to design and build a state-of-the-art verifiable electronic voting platform. Over 14 nationwide elections have been carried out using the platform, and more than 100 million voters have voted on it. In 2012 we executed the first world-wide national election with biometric authentication of all voters. Former US President Jimmy Carter said about our work in Venezuela: “Having monitored 92 elections, I can say that Venezuela has the best voting system in the world”
- In 2014 we partnered with Cybernetica, the Estonian R&D lab that built the original Internet voting system used in Estonia, to found the Smartmatic-Cybernetica Centre for Excellence for Internet Voting. This new venture is working in Tartu to study and develop Internet voting on a global scale.
Some facts about Smartmatic:
- Smartmatic is a privately-owned company. Its founders Antonio Mugica and Roger Piñate are deeply involved in the day-to-day management of the company as CEO and COO, respectively.
- Smartmatic is highly oriented towards technology Research and Development, and we spend more in R&D than the rest of the voting industry combined. Our largest offices are our R&D labs in Panama, Caracas, and Taipei, amounting to over 50% of our personnel. Due to the sensitivity and mission-critical nature of our projects, we do not outsource our work and have very strict standards for security.
- We do not just build and sell technology. While virtually all the technology we provide is designed and built by us, we become deeply involved in our customers’ operations. Some of our customers have actually decided to outsource nationwide, general election processes to us, which we were happy to execute successfully and cost-effectively. Technology transfer is a customary part of our projects.
- All of our electoral projects have been audited and verified by national and international observation missions, and these include the Carter Center, the Organization of American States, observation missions by the European Union and the United Nations Development Program.
- President Barack Obama votes in an electronic voting machine designed and manufactured by Smartmatic.